The costs of adding roof windows to a room - how to budget for your daylight upgrade
The costs of a roof window installation
Making a budget is an excellent place to start if you want to add roof windows and make a daylight upgrade to your home. A budget gives you peace of mind and helps you get off to a good start.
Here's what you need to consider:
What to include in your roof window installation budget
The price of doing a roof window installation depends on several factors. When you budget for your daylight upgrade, there are a few things you should take into consideration:
- The type of roof window and frame you prefer, and your choice of glazing
- The size of the roof window, as well as how many windows you want to install
- Which type of roof you have, and roof accessibility - is scaffolding or other equipment needed to reach the roof?
- How much operational comfort you prefer - should the roof window be controlled manually, electrically, or by solar power?
- Your choice of interior finish (repainting, lining, replastering)
- When budgeting for your daylight upgrade, consider the type, size and number of roof windows you want, as well as choosing between manual, electric or solar operation.
- Roof windows can help you save on energy costs. A VELUX roof window with triple-glazing gives you ultimate thermal efficiency, optimal energy efficiency, and indoor comfort.
- To ensure that your rooms have adequate daylight levels, the glazed area of all windows should be no less than 20% of the floor area.
The costs of installing roof windows depend on your preferences
The costs of a roof window installation depend on your roof type, what kind of window solution you choose, and can vary greatly in different areas of the UK.
A VELUX roof window installation can be achieved in as little as four hours. The starting price for the most basic VELUX roof window, the Centre pivot roof window, is £305 excl. VAT. Add to that an average of £100 for flashing plus installation. For the larger VELUX roof balcony option, prices start at £2,559 excl. VAT plus the costs of labour.
Of course, it is well worth investing in more daylight where possible. If you're going through the time and expense of installing roof windows, selecting the bigger option will pay for itself in terms of the finished result.
Adding VELUX roof windows to your rooms will transform your space
Allow a maximum of daylight to enter your home by adding roof windows to your rooms. Roof windows are a brilliant way to let in more daylight and ensure a good indoor climate.
By installing a roof window, you can also save on energy costs. For instance, a VELUX roof window with triple-glazing gives you ultimate thermal efficiency, optimal energy efficiency, and indoor comfort.
Why adding roof windows is an excellent choice
To ensure that your rooms have adequate daylight levels, the glazed area of all windows should be no less than 20% of the floor area.
Roof windows allow a maximum of daylight to enter your home and provide up to twice as much light as façade windows. That's a win if you ask us!
Discover our different solutions to find a roof window to match your needs and budget.